1. Entertainment

Don't Drink the Kool-Aid: Oprah, Obama and the Occult

By July 11, 2008

Don't Drink the Kool-Aid: Oprah, Obama and the Occult by Carrington Steele is described by the publisher as follows:

This book is meant to enlighten and educate the masses regarding the attempt by one entity of our society to blatantly introduce concepts that are harmful to the very fabric of the American family. The influence of the most powerful woman in the world, Oprah Winfrey, coupled with her "spiritual" evolution and the persistent determination of her mission, makes reading this book a necessity. It pulls together the pieces of a puzzle that when placed in order tell it's own story and should propel concerned citizens to mobilize into action.

In the wake of criticism over Oprah's encouragement of her viewers to seek spiritual enlightenment through non-traditional methods, books of this nature are being published in addition to print articles and YouTube videos. A New Earth, An Old Deception: Awakening to the Dangers of Eckhart Tolle's #1 Bestseller by Richard Abanes additionally speaks to the concern over Oprah's spiritual deception of the "true gospel."

What action is needed to be taken as suggested by the author above? Is what Oprah is doing wrong or her right as an American citizen to share her opinion and have it received by those who wish to hear it? Please share your comments below.

Comments

July 13, 2008 at 3:09 pm
(1) marvinlowery says:

Oprah,who to me is like a mother figure,has made a serious impact in the realm of philanthropy.Her contributions have broken world records.I think that Ms.Winfrey is doing one heck of a job in helping needy people,and being an aid for the betterment of this country,and the rest of the World.

July 16, 2008 at 7:55 pm
(2) D says:

marvin..does it matter if she helps bring billions of people to hell with her>?
salvation is free for everyone..its not a trick of God. Jesus is the way…the only way.

July 17, 2008 at 6:59 pm
(3) C says:

It is our right to believe whatever we want. Oprah is a giving and caring person. If I have to choose to be in heaven with narrow-minded, judgmental bible thumpers or in hell with free-thinking people who are kind, caring and generous of mind and spirit, guess which I’m going to choose? If folks don’t want to hear what Oprah has to say, change the channel and leave the rest of us alone!

July 19, 2008 at 4:10 pm
(4) richard abanes says:

This is not an issue of “Bible Thumpers” (so-called) vs. kind/caring do-gooders. It’s an issue that involves truth, reason, deception, and accurate expressions of reality.

No one is saying that Oprah isn’t kind, helpful, fun, and entertaining. (At least I’m not). But she is now billing herself as more than an entertainer — she has placed herself in the position of one who advances a VERY definite spiritual perspective and is using her influence to support/distribute others (e.g., Tolle), who are offering the same perspective under the guise of it being compatible with Christianity.

Oprah’s beliefs and spiritual teachings are NOT compatible with Christianity, and those who wish to point out thsi fact have every wright to do so.

Richard Abanes
author, “A New Earth, An Old Deception”

August 1, 2008 at 9:56 pm
(5) M.S. McKinney says:

It is precisely because of each of the many mentioned positive attributes of Oprah that so many are up in arms with regard to the deception that appears to have taken hold of her; as was stated, Oprah moved from the realm of entertainement/entrepeneur to spiritual advisor when whe provided the forum for the principles of a “One World Religion” to be aired on her show, radio station and website. Yes, it is her right and it is also true that as the scripture teach us, when we see a brother (sister in this case) in error, we are to share the truth with them “in love.”

August 18, 2008 at 7:59 pm
(6) gaskin1979 says:

We are being blinded by the good things that she is doing. Even the devil can be dressed up and look like an angel.

Oprah is going to have to stand before God on Judgement Day and give an account for all her doings here on Earth. Just as we all will do. The blood of those people that followed her here on Earth will be on her hands. The Bible says that you cannot get to the father but through me first. We are to lead others to Christ that is our mission.
To preach his gospel and compell those whom don’t know him to except him in their life.

Would you go to a church and hear the word of God from a man or women who wasn’t called by him first and did not speak of his word in totality?

You can’t pick and choose which part of him you want! The bible is not there to raffled through to pick what applies to you at that moment.

November 2, 2008 at 10:59 pm
(7) wakecowboy says:

Did any of you notice this book has been removed from Amazon?

Good thing too. This book was a total misrepresentation of nonduality. I am a nondualist, and I am also a Christian.
These books that lie about realization are completely misguided, and the people who write them clearly do not understand the concepts that they vilify in them. Nonduality is about the culmination of all knowledge and wisdom through the unity of being into the union of love. Jesus Christ was the God-given example of this pure culmination of love(or was supposed to have been) but everyone has forgotten the most important message that Jesus tried to teach. That above knowledge was wisdom, above wisdom was the unity of being, and above the unity of being was the union of love and a culmination of all knowledge and wisdom through understanding into being one with the Father.
So all of you who condemn the nondualist to hell?
It is you who are not following the path of Christ.

August 19, 2009 at 11:00 pm
(8) G says:

Um, you can either be Oprah-sheep about Dr. Phil or about Eckhart Tolle, makes no never mind to me. If people are going to get their religious beliefs from a talk show host that is their business, who are all of you to get up in arms about it? Stupid them for following her if they do!

August 30, 2009 at 6:40 pm
(9) Bee says:

What is truth? Just because of what the bible says it has to be the truth? All the bible is a bunch of opinions. Why is it so true? Just because of someone saying its the truth? I think all of this ” Don’t drink the Kool Aid” is a bunch of jealousy from the christian people. Just because one man and a black woman is helping a lot of people get back in touch with their soul and its all happening not from the bible.

October 13, 2009 at 12:20 pm
(10) dee says:

I have no problem with “whatever” Oprah chooses to believe. The problem for me lies within the fact that she chooses to label herself as “Christian.” A Christian is a believer in the Son of the Living God, born of the Virgin Mary, crucified on the cross for the sins of humanity, resurrected on the third day, asscended to heaven to prepare a place for those who believe in Him, confess their sins to HIM, and have NO other Gods. A true Christian believes that as the Bible says: there is NO other way to the Father/God except thru His son Jesus Christ. Clearly, as Oprah has stated countless times this is not what she believes so she needs to allign herself with whatever religion/spiritual path she chooses to follow and leave the label of Christianity out of it.
Peace and Grace to all

November 4, 2009 at 9:24 pm
(11) Sonny Daze says:

Very well said Dee…

Sometimes, I’m ashamed to be labeled a human, aren’t you…

There are so many stupid people that walk among us Christians…

GOD BLESS ALL CHRISTIANS, AMEN…

November 6, 2009 at 4:42 pm
(12) sam says:

Oprah is a great humanitarian and is a very well liked person. Her message, however, contradicts the Bible. Jesus, Himself, said that I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me and enter by the narrow gate for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction and there are many who go in by it. Real believers need to wake up and get very close to the Scriptures because many deceivers will be coming (many have already come) in the last days. We need to pray for Oprah that she might come to know Christ. Our God is a God of miracles. Hallelujah!!!

November 18, 2009 at 2:15 pm
(13) kayla says:

Do you guys not see… these are false prophets. The bible mentions that there will be many and sadly so many will follow them. The end is so near! Everything is falling together just like in revelations. I just hate to see all the people that will have to stay here with these wicked people when God comes to take his children home in the rapture. Oh and about Oprah being so kind and giving…HA! She does things like charity and gives things away because its a TAX WRITEOFF! If you went up to her needing something she wouldnt give you the time of day unless she was on tv. When shes on camera sure shes gonna be nice and caring to keep her viewers. You dont know neone just by what you see on tv. Im just asking you people please dont believe these people that make things up so that they can feel like they are God and have power. Power is evil and when giving into these brainwashing techniques you are giving them power and your gonna go down with them. I want as many people as possible to be in heaven with me worshiping our Savior JESUS CHRIST! He is the only way to heaven!!!!

December 17, 2009 at 3:50 am
(14) Jeff says:

Do your research on how the Bible was made. God did not write the bible. It is a complitation of stories, visions and dreams that real people had many years ago. So after the Bible was made God just stopped everything, because a group of people sitting around a table decided that it would be so. I dont think so.The book A Course In Miracles that Oprah is talking about, is a vision/experience that a women had with Jesus Christ. She teaches in the book how to listen to your inner Holy spirit. She believes and so do I that if we let him, Jesus will guide us, and speaks to us through our spirit. It teaches how to tear down our egos and expose our true soul. To live now without guilt and fear. It doesnt turn you into a brainwashed sinner. It does the complete opposite. It free’s your mind to allow only pure love in and out. If anybody is doing the brainwashing its organized religion. Which causes guilt,hate, wars and death. Being Holy is not something that is granted to you by following a rule book. Its found by going inward.

January 15, 2010 at 9:00 pm
(15) Wilburseb says:

Sonny Daze says he’s… ” ashamed to be labeled a human, aren’t you…?” Well, I am actually ashamed to be an American, being human is something we must all admit to, otherwise I do not think we would be here. I am ashamed to be an American every day but this day I am particularly ashamed because of the awful earthquake in Haiti. We have plenty of people in this country with BIG MOUTHS and BIG MEGAPHONES and so, what are they using those voices for today? They are busy denigrating the poorest people in the world after the worst earthquake to hit anywhere since the one that killed 100′s of thousands in China last year. I am ashamed to be an American because America is responsible for the shape of that “poorest country in the world”. Our foreign policy, our foreign aid (if you can actually call it that), our military assistance IS what is DESTROYINGthe lies and livelihoods of THOUSANDS around the world who are dying because of the shape their country has been left by that intervention. Haiti has had many colonizers. Since the latter part of the 19th Century, it has been America. We supported, and even put into power, evil dictators who killed and tortured with impunity for almost 100 years. And finally when Haiti managed to actually elect its own leader, our President at the time, George W. Bush, who did not manage to get his GUY elected and could not stand it that the country had managed to elect one of their own. So, shortly after the overwhelming-popular, election of Aristide in 2002, Bush sent in his own CIA operatives who snatched Aristede out of Haiti and sent him and his family off to Africa where they have been under virtual house arrest by the US Government ever since! And that is exactly why he is not being ALLOWED to return to his people NOW at a time when it would do the most good for the people of Haiti! HE IS THEIR HONESTLY ELECTED PRESIDENT AND THE UNITED STATES THINKS THEY ARE BETTER OFF WITH OUT ANY GOVERNMENT AT ALL – AND LOOK WHERE THAT HAS GOTTEN THEM! These days, when I hear ANYONE call themselves a Christian, especially in public, I have a wave of caution come over me. It is strange but I think I am having that kind of reaction now because of the public nuisance Christians have been making of themselves in the last few years. The behavior is difficult to explain but I will try. The feeling washes over me that I had better watch carefully how I approach the person and be careful in the words I choose to talk with them. I guess I have just seen way too many lately who act out in ways that put-down and exclude everyone unless they happen to know of some undisclosed but very evident trait that matches their own list of the attributes someone who call him/herself a “CHRISTIAN”. (And if this isn’t what happens, why do they treat people the way they do?) I do not feel identified by my religion but I get the feeling these people are thoroughly identified by their religion, in whatever static form that takes for them. I want no part of it. I am trying to be an inclusive person. I do not WANT to leave anyone out. Some part of me is human in the same way as every other human on the planet, even like every other animal. I do see different skin color, style of dress, language, and other differences. I hope what I see is the heart that beats in each and every chest. The one that is just like mine. I do believe that I am no different from Christ or Ghandi or any other person whether they are people of elevated stature in the minds of the population or thought of as criminals. They are all just like me. I do not believe that the earth or any of its creatures are evil. Every cell of every living thing was made by what you call GOD. I do not call what I believe in GOD, but only because the word has been used in so many WRONG ways. I do not use it. Just like I do not use the word Liberal or Progressive to refer to myself because those words too have so many different meanings, most of them WRONG. NO. I am a nurturer. I nurture my family, my friends, my co-workers, my acquaintances, and my fellow passengers on the bus, trains, streets and transports that move us through this life. Why do you have to be so divisive? “He is not a christian!”, even if he calls himself a christian, because he does not do this or that practice? I call him a human and we are the same. I want to save people all right, I want to save the world, and more and more I feel like I need to also SAVE people from Christians like you, who want to be divisive and exclusive. That is not the way of the nurturer, but it sure is the way of those who call themselves Christians. They want to label everyone and in doing that labeling they want to make sure that their ‘labels’ are connected to those persons, whether they are appropriate or not. I DENOUNCE THAT WAY OF INTERACTING WITH YOUR FELLOW HUMAN BEINGS AND HOPE THAT ONE DAY RELIGIOUS PEOPLE WILL BECOME INCLUSIVE OF HUMANS WHATEVER THEY CALL THEMSELVES! I like “Course in Miracles” very, very much. It is as close to a bible as I will ever claim. I find that when I practice reading a passage every night that it helps me feel more passionate about our world. I feel insights and have visions from the poetry of the phrases and the high levels of association that is generated from the words. It is a very poetic book that causes one to think differently and that different way of thinking actually makes one feel different, in an expansive and joyous way. Quite often a passage will bring me to tears or just as easily to laughing. So please do not put down my ‘bible’. I am not harmed by the many ways that Christians put people down but I know that You are hurt by those kinds of actions. Why don’t you think of it like that sometimes. Just maybe your being disgusted with people who do not follow the same path as you is bad for YOU, even if it doesn’t really hurt the person it is directed towards.

March 22, 2010 at 4:07 am
(16) A.Baker says:

Umm.. the last comment was really long and i didnt get to read it all. BUT i agree: we should all be ashamed of ourselves. Pointing fingers at eachother? There is still work to do people! We have lives to SAVE. There are people that need our help! Who cares about the lost souls following Oprah? That’s their fault! If those people’s names arent written in the Book of Life, dont worry about it! As long as God has YOUR name in there. Yes, i agree that people should understand that Oprah is a false prophet. But it shouldnt go any further. If you know your Bible, and ESPECIALLY the PROPHECIES of the END TIMES… Take caution. Turn off your t.v. Stop dramatizing things. ITS IN OUR GOOD LORD’S CONTROL. We dont need to interviene with God’s plan. ONLY he knows WHO WHAT WHERE WHEN. Let him do is job. We are the light of this world. And until He takes away that light we need to stay focused on spreading His word so HE CAN come back!

Just think…

One of these days (very soon), people will see that “magically” 1/3 of the worlds population just VANISHED. And then they realize they’re F’d in the A.
And if they don’t well… they’re still F’d in the A.

Lets go find our Brothers and Sisters.

-April (CHRISTIAN)

May 21, 2010 at 4:50 pm
(17) Jenni says:

Ok, someone said something about the bible just being a bunch of stories. I disagree. God is the one who inspired the bible. The words are “God-breathed” according to the original language it was written in. If man made it, how come in 66 books there is not one contradiction? Men who never met wrote the exact same thing many times. That doesn’t just happen, its God’s miracle!

July 1, 2010 at 12:47 pm
(18) maryalison says:

C, says to “leave us alone”
As Christians, we are instructed to make disciples of all nations. we are simply trying to do so. therefore, we can’t just “leave [you] alone.”

July 6, 2010 at 2:12 pm
(19) Christopher says:

Of course, it’s completely obvious to anyone, anywhere that beliefs are not choices. I can’t choose to believe that Jesus is the Son of God anymore than I can choose to believe anything. I cannot simply choose to belive that my best friend right now is reading for example. He may be, he may not, but so long as I do not have proof either by seeing him or talking to him, then I cannot choose to believe either way; I must admit doubt.

Similiarly I cannot ever choose to believe that Christ is the literal Son of God. It is impossible for me to ever believe that, even if I was scared enough by the threat of hell to *want* to. It’s not a choice.

Sending me to hell for something I have 0 control over would be unfathomably ridiculous and so is Christianity.

July 21, 2010 at 12:55 pm
(20) pastageek says:

Oprah is free to believe whatever she wants, we Christians aren’t arguing against that and neither is it relevant that she has given money away. By being “up in arms” as both sides put it, all that is meant is that people are warning about deception. Her beliefs have no place in Christianity. If she thinks there is another way, I have the right to disagree with her, and I have the right put it in print if I so choose.

Welcome to free speech. Free speech doesn’t mean that you are free from criticism. You don’t get to say something and then silence the opposition. That would be imposing on our free speech. How is this not comprehended? By saying “leave us alone” you then imply that we are forcing you to read it. If you don’t like what we say maybe you should change your channel or but the literature down that you don’t like.

Now that free speech has been properly explained, I would like to point out that in Isaiah 42:5 it talks about God stretching out the heavens. That is an archaic way of saying the universe expanded and probably still is doing so. Edwin Hubble rediscovered this in the early 20th century. Also a very interesting cosmology comes out that is consistent with scripture and observed fact when you consider the work people have done with Moshe Carmeli’s work. Look it up; it will rock your world.

Once you consider this, you might not think Christianity so ridiculous. Christ is my savior. I know from observing reality that I certainly couldn’t be my own savior, so Oprah’s religion is false, and I’m free to say that.

October 22, 2010 at 2:29 pm
(21) ABC123 says:

I love God and Jesus – I am a Christian. That is my faith, and it will never change.

But I have read Tolle’s “The Power of Now” and it has been a useful book for me and many others who have had to deal with anxiety. The principles discussed in that book have been written about by many other authors for thousands of years, and it is just about living in the moment, living in the now.

I can’t speak of his other stuff, as I haven’t read it. But I believe, as with mass media, this has all been blown out of proportion. Now, whether or not Oprah is trying to lead people away from church or whatever, I don’t know because I don’t watch her.

God is love. Jesus is love. I do agree more people need to know that!

February 27, 2011 at 7:12 pm
(22) John says:

I just prayed for Oprah, she announced on her show (not sure how long ago) that Jesus is not the only way to Heaven. Not sure what made her say that. I thank God for sending His son, for the sinner that I was, Jesus’ sacrafice washed us clean, so we can be blameless! John 3:16 says it all!!

September 12, 2011 at 11:33 am
(23) miked says:

you people are all nuts

November 21, 2011 at 3:47 pm
(24) Truth here says:

Now, brothers and sisters, realize that the Bible says

“Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.” James 4:4

Oprah is a world celebrity, and a friend of the world, which is why she is globally broadcasted, and isn’t an enemy of the U.S.

Notice that like, another lady billionaire, J.K.Rowling also lead others from Christ, with her ‘Harry Potter’ novels. J.K.Rowling is a darling of the world also, because she’s the author of the occult and witchcraft novels, Harry Potter.

The devil can easily give millions of dollars and billions of dollars to those who sin, and show others how to sin.

Notice that actresses who make it big in hollywood HAVE to kiss and fornicate on screen, or even show their breasts while they’re at it? They probably act a movie or two where they HAVE to be unfaithful to their spouse IN the movie (thereby and always defiling the holy institution of marriage?)

“Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” – Matthew 5:19

Eckhart Tolle is decieving people in false doctrine.

Jesus warned people about false prophets coming in sheeps clothing, who are ravenous wolves inside. The problem is that people expect those satanists and false prophets to be ugly and mean. They also come looking humble, meek, soft-spoken, and friendly. But by their fruits you shall know them.

In their ‘fruits’, they will try to undermine Jesus Christ. They will convince you that God is your own creation and imagination. They will mock Christians, as not being ‘enlightened’ about meditation, yoga, and other occult practices.

“Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” John 14:6