1. Entertainment

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Oprah Winfrey Narrates Discovery/BBC Series 'Life'

By March 8, 2010

An enormous fan of the Discovery Channel series Planet Earth, Oprah Winfrey is participating in the next high definition nature documentary Life, which premieres Sunday, March 21, 2010. The series took four years to film and originally aired on the BBC network from October to December 2009. Oprah appears in the series as the narrator of the US version of 11-part program. Life is a documentary that follows the behavior of living things as they struggle to survive and procreate their species. Episodes include features on plants, birds, fish, mammals, and many more. The end of each show will also include footage of how the series was made during the years of filming.

Comments

March 9, 2010 at 4:18 pm
(1) Angela Provencio says:

I think your show is amaring and eye opening. Recently I feel the public does not understand mental illness and the stigma it produces in the public. I am Bi-polar disorder and was diagnoised after years of self medicating I new I was fighting a losing battle and needed help. Well let me tell you thank God for medication because I was able to turn my life around and go to college where I attended for 7 years. I got my GED at the age of 42 and graduated in 2007. I battled cancer last year and am on disability. I feel useless and would like to volunteer in the mental health field. I hope god hears my prayers there is so much I can give back. Mentally ill people get a bad rapp! I’m want to be productive but the government and sociaty and people that enforce the rules say I’m disable how can that be graduate from college and unable to work what now poor ,struggling and with 2 mental health certificates one in psycological mental health rehab and another one in addiction studies completing 2 internships with 500 hours each. What now Lord Show me the way

March 21, 2010 at 10:47 pm
(2) RedCup says:

The New “Life” series on Discovery from BBC has some good stories, beautiful shots and amazing creatures but, I will be buying the BBC version with Sir Attenborough. The BBC Narrator is so much better that’s a SO MUCH BETTER than Oprah’s narration. which felt like a simple page read from a 4th grader. If you can find the original BBC version… go for it.

March 22, 2010 at 9:45 pm
(3) Bob says:

I’m very dissappointed that Oprah is narrating this show. It’s very distracting … and her tone isn’t consistent enough. Was Mike Rowe on vacation?

April 13, 2010 at 10:59 am
(4) BECKY says:

STOP HATING ON OPRAH I LOVE HER NARRATION IT DRAWS ME IN TO WANT MORE AND IF IT WASN’T FOR HER NO ONE PROBABLY WOULDN’T WATCH THE SHOW. IF IT WAS A WHITE NARRATOR YOU GUYS WOULD BE ALL FOR IT. STOP ACTING THE WAY YOU DO AND JUST BE GLAD WE HAVE A GREAT SHOW TO LET US KNOW WHAT GOES ON IN THE WORLD, NO MATTER IF ITS OPRAH OR NOT. STOP BEING SO NEGATIVE!

April 15, 2010 at 6:34 pm
(5) beckys a loser says:

ummmmmmm oprahs narration is horrible, she uses the same tone she did on her talkshow, clearly not fitting for a documentary series. Oh, and im SURE plenty more people would watch the show if naturalist, david attenborough or sigourney weaver narrated. Im sure we can all figure out she became narrator for the US series because of her promotion work of the BBC’s Planet Earth on her show.

June 3, 2010 at 6:15 pm
(6) beckys a loser 2 says:

unfit voice for such nice documentary, oprah is so bad at it. why in the world would someone pick oprah a talkshow host to do a documentary? is like asking monkey to act like human, although she think she can but in reality so failed.

Thats why I went and bought the version with Sir David Attenborough.

August 1, 2010 at 6:11 am
(7) Thorne Hughes says:

Oprah is an unmitigated a hack! She totally destoryed the beauty of this documentary. Why did the BBC deviate from such a marevelous and knowledgeable narrator as Mr. Attenborough? Oprah was clearly reading from a script that she did not have a clue about. Look at Planet Earth and then Life and draw your own conclusions.

Perhaps she bought the rights?

There are many knowledgeable people available that could do justice to this documentary. David Suzuki comes immeditatley to mind.

What a terrible shame.

August 29, 2010 at 11:23 pm
(8) Patrick Hood says:

It’s funny that the poster above thinks the reason most all of us Planet Earth fans and David Attenborough fans (probably 95% of the population that watches documentaries) are pissed off that Oprah narrated this, is because she’s BLACK.

Look, Becky, I’m glad you’ve been inspired by successful black americans like Oprah Winfrey, and i feel bad for you having grown up being hated on by whites and thus thinking all whites have some belief that they’re better than you but, UNFORTUNATELY, Oprah’s skin colour is not the issue here, her issue, is that she’s absolutely f*cking terrible at narrating this – totally ruined it.

April 6, 2011 at 10:44 am
(9) CH Hopper says:

I was channel hopping late one night, and I stumbled on the Life series. I didn’t immediately know who the narrator was, but the cinematography was stunning. HOWEVER, the next day, I realized, as I searched for the series with Google, that it was in fact, the power and style of the narrator’s voice that made me want to make the series part of my regular line up. My Google search revealed to me that that narrator was none other than Oprah Winfrey. I was a little bit surprised! But, because of the style of her narrative, which I found authoritative and extremely dignified, I not only added it to my regular late-night line up, but also planned to purchase for my family. I’ve been watching documentaries like this for long time, back when they could only be had on PBS channels. I’m familiar with Attenborough, Weaver, (Richard) Kiley, and all the others. I think Oprah style is not only equable with theirs, but also, adds to it. I will gladly watch any series she narrates.