Jean Chatzky was born in 1964 in Michigan and raised in Indiana, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
Married to her second husband, Eliot Kaplan, since May of 2009, Jean also has 2 children from her first marriage. The family currently resides in New York.
Jean Chatzky received her undergraduate degree in English from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. Currently, Jean sits on the board for the Nora Magid Mentorship Prize and the Communications Committee, both at the University of Pennsylvania.
After graduating from college, Jean worked her way up in both fields of finance and journalism as an editorial assistant and research analyst on Wall Street. After building her experience, Jean eventually was hired as a fact checker for Forbes. From Forbes Jean moved on to write for SmartMoney and was eventually brought on as the financial editor of Today on NBC. Jean Chatzky has also contributed to a number of other magazines, including: Money, O Magazine, and More, as well as others. Jean has used her experience to translate difficult information into ideas that are understandable for everyone in her books and also on her radio show on Oprah & Friends.
- The Rich & Famous Money Book: Investment Strategies of Leading Celebrities
- Talking Money: Everything You Need to Know about Your Finances and Your Future
- You Don't Have to Be Rich: Comfort, Happiness, and Financial Security on Your Own Terms
- The Ten Commandments of Financial Happiness : Feel Richer with What You've Got
- Make Money, Not Excuses: Wake Up, Take Charge, and Overcome Your Financial Fears Forever
- Pay It Down!: From Debt to Wealth on $10 a Day
- The Difference: How Anyone Can Prosper in Even The Toughest Times
- The Difference Wealth-Building Journal: Discover How You Can Prosper in Even the Toughest Times
Jean Chatzky also has a line of products with Franklin Covey which includes tote bags in multiple sizes, wallets and budget-conscious planners.
If you are interested in listening to Jean Chatzky's radio show on Oprah & Friends, the schedule is as follows:
- Monday through Friday: 6:00 AM, 12:00 PM & 3:00 PM
- Saturday: 1:00 AM & 2:00 AM
- Sunday: 6:00 PM, 7:00 PM & 8:00 PM
Past shows have included:
- How to Become an Entrepreneur
- Jean's Money Tips
- Get Rid of Debt and Stress
- Prepare for Retirement
- The Ups and Downs of Dating
- Student Loan Advice
- Advice for Moms